I spend a lot of time outside. This time of year, I am spending more time outside than normal. Spending a lot of time outside means I am spending more time with my friends, the mosquitoes! Mosquitoes and my area are the best of friends. Unfortunately, mosquitoes and I are not. I have recently learned that my children are as prone to bites as I am, if not worse.
Since I am a huge fan of making my own stuff, I decided to try and make my own insect repellent. There are several recipes and methods for combating mosquitoes. Here are a few recipes and methods you can try:
- Garlic mixed with water applied to the wrist, behind the knee and around the ankle
- Wear light clothing with long colored clothing with long sleeves
- Citronella, catnip, lavender, eucalyptus, pennyroyal, tansy, thyme, cedar, tea tree, peppermint, basil, and lemongrass oil
- Apply citronella, lavender, basil, catnip, pennyroyal, tansy, marigolds to the clothes to help repel mosquitoes.
- Vicks VapoRub
- Avon Skin so Soft
- Bounce Sheets
- Listerine mixed with household vinegar (50/50)