Joy At A time of Grief  

Posted by: TRochelle in , ,


Everyone is remembering 9/11 on this 8 year anniversary. This made me remember what I was doing on that day. I had just given birth in June and I needed to take my oldest son to the doctor for a checkup. I woke up that morning and I had really bad panic attack. I could not sleep but even worse, I could not leave the house. My husband was very worried. He thought that maybe my Agoraphobia was getting worse. I walked back and forth from my room to my girl's room holding my son.

This ritual went on for 3 hours. My husband left for work and I sat in the center of the bed and waited for the news to start. Yes, I woke up very early. After I watched the news for the morning and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Time went on and the news about the hijackings quickly took center stage. I was floored. I was blown away at the devastation but I no longer felt anxiety. I was relaxed and felt comfortable. I rescheduled the doctor's appointment but I no longer felt like I would die if I left my house. I just could not leave at that point because I am a stickler for scheduling and if I am late, I will not go.

No, the attacks were not anywhere near my home in Texas. Yes, I realized that at the time but I felt so much better once I saw it on the news. I had not had a panic attack like that before. Much of my relief was from the anxiety leaving my body.

The downside was me sitting there feeling joy at a time of such grief.

****This image is of a man who chose to leap from the towers. His leap was an example of the peace I felt after seeing the devastating events unfold. Please read the post on Esquire to understand more about the photo they provided.

This entry was posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment